Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A. I. Tyler

A. I. Tyler was a school teacher who taught on the Bluff in the early 1900's. He was an amateur archeologist and left his notes on local archeology at the Oliver House shortly before his death. The following account was included in these notes.


I last visited this site in 1923 or 1924. The Dinehart family has kept at least a semblance of the ditch preserved in their yard. All traces are graded awy. The big spring is near the brook. I agian checked the Iroquoian clews (as written in the notes). Others have done the same. The skeleton I found and the lower jaw of another one from a potato field both were of aged people. All molar teeth had been extracted and alveolar process completed. The eye teeth were worn down on backside by long years of mastication and incisors complete. The round hole in the back of the skull I think was by an antler prong club and not an arrow. Certainly not a bullet. Columbus probably had not found America at the time of demise.

No comments: